Broccoli Cheese Soup with just 10-ingredients and in no time you have a creamy cheesy low carb and keto soup. No need for the expensive Panera takeout ever again.
I think I can safely say that broccoli cheese soup is and has been one of my favorite soups for as long as I can remember. I would order it at Paneras in a giant bread bowl… THOSE WERE THE DAYS…when we were completely oblivious to what those carbs were doing to our body.
So now we are obviously on a new trajectory these days but that is absolutely no reason why we can’t enjoy ourselves a large bowl of this soup.
Low Carb vs. Keto for our Broccoli Soup
Now first things first that I believe (and hope) you’ll read and understand when I say, this soup is pretty much a cross between low carb and keto… depending on YOU.
Broccoli naturally is higher carb but it has plenty of fiber that counterbalances the carb, however, it still increases the carb count of the soup. As I mentioned many times, our family is a cross between low carb and keto.
We try to stick to around 50netcarbs a day. And when something like a vegetable puts us over that carb count… We are ok with it. More vegetables in our diet the better in our opinion. Hello baked broccoli. Or bacon broccoli salad. Loading our diet with vegetables works for us and that is why I say.. this soup is a cross between and depends on you.
Now to get this in the keto range you can use less broccoli… about 32ounces instead of the 64ounces and that will get you into the 6NetCarb range. So feel free to use more or less broccoli to fit into your carb count goals. We’ll go into a bit more detail on this below in our Net Carbs breakdown.
Soup is the name of the game this time of year
As the temperatures begin to drop it’s almost a necessity to bring soups to the table. I’ve yet to find a person that hates broccoli to also HATE broccoli cheddar soup. In reality I feel like it’s a lot like our broccoli tots… it hides the vegetables so well that even the pickiest eaters will enjoy it.
PRO TIP FOR PICKY EATERS: You can also REALLY blend the entire soup together and get rid of all broccoli bites to really hide it. It’ll taste just like delicious cheese soup and you never can say no to cheese.
However, there are plenty of other low carb and keto soups to choose from if this doesn’t float your boat.
- Keto Chicken Taco Soup
- Bacon Avocado Soup
- Italian Wedding Soup
- Keto Instant Pot Chicken Soup
- Low Carb Egg Drop Soup
- Aguadito de Pavo- Peruvian Turkey Soup by Eat at our Table
Make some of our Keto Cheddar Bay Biscuits to go alongside and we are in BUSINESS.
HOW MANY NET CARBS IN ONE SERVING OF KETO BROCCOLI CHEDDAR SOUP?
6 Net Carbs per serving. This calculation this based on using 32ounces of broccoli and splitting it into 8 servings.
12 Net Carbs per serving. If you were to add 64ounces of broccoli it would be 12NetCarbs so as you see it really does vary on what your carb count goals are. 12 Net Carbs for a meal is rather high on some versions of keto so really do what fits for your goals.
This soup is really divine and absolute comfort food heaven so fortunately for all of us we can enjoy this soup no matter what your carb counts may be. Enjoy!
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT ENJOY
- Low Carb Garlic Rosemary Biscuit Rolls
- Chicken Enchilada Soup by ItsYummi
- Creamy Tomato Soup by ItsYummi
- Easy Chicken Curry by SimpleKitchenCooking
Cheesy Broccoli Soup
- 32 - 64 ounces frozen broccoli (fresh works as well. See notes above for varying amounts for broccoli)
- 32 ounces vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- If using fresh broccoli, cut off stems and chop broccoli heads into bite-sized pieces.
- Add broccoli, spices and garlic to a dutch oven over medium heat. Stir and sautee broccoli. until fully thawed if using frozen broccoli. If using fresh, add two tablespoons of olive oil to help with the cooking process. Feel free to char the broccoli just a bit for a slightly smokey flavor.
- Add vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Use a handheld immersion blender to thicken the soup. Blend for desired consistency.
- Add heavy cream. Simmer for a few minutes to allow soup to get back to warm temperature.
- Add cheese. Stir to melt cheese.
- Serve while warm.