Keto Lasagna using zucchini noodles. In this epic recipe all of your favorite flavors are packed into one low carb dish AND you are getting a healthy dose of vegetables into your diet. Absolute win-win of a dinner.
First thing first, it should be noted that lasagna rocks. Even with this lasagna all the flavors that makes a lasagna GREAT are actually all low carb ingredients!
If you planned ahead and froze some of the dairy and meat like we went through in our What Keto Ingredients can be frozen. You could potentially have the ingredients ready to go for dinner.
How to Make Keto Lasagna
The main culprit that is not low carb in a traditional lasagna are the noodles. Now we are actually working on a low carb noodle recipe for you that mimics traditional noodles. *GASP*
But meanwhile we wanted to share with you this even easier alternative to making a keto lasagna with zucchini!
We’ve noticed that the vegetables in the grocery stores are not being touched much so hopefully you can also find some zucchini. And if you can’t save this recipe for the coming months when zucchini is growing out of your ears in the garden!
Feeling zesty? Check out this Vegan Roasted Red Pepper Sauce from Salted Plains.
How to Make Zucchini Noodles for Lasagna
Now zucchini noodles do require a bit of prep work. Zucchini naturally has quite a bit of moisture in them so the key is to draw that excess moisture out as much as possible.
The easiest way to do this is sprinkle with salt and allow the salt to pull that moisture out.
Other low carb noodle options
I know many people are trying to just make meals with the ingredients they’ve got on hand right now so if you can’t find zucchini or you would like to try something else here are a few other low carb noodle options.
Deli Meat – you are reading that right. Simply use slices of deli meat. Our favorite personally is ham but you can use any really.
Fathead Dough – Simply roll out your fathead dough. Slice it in have and make a deep dish lasagna calzone thing with the lasagna ingredients. It actually is divineeeeee.
Another low carb option is these Italian Vegetarian Stuffed Zucchini Boats from VeggieBalance.
HOW MANY NET CARBS A SLICE FOR A KETO LASAGNA?
6 Net Carb for a slice of lasagna. This is if you slice the casserole dish into 8 slices.
You can also then make a batch of our Keto Garlic Bread to soak up and dunk into the fabulous lasagna sauce. It is only 1 Net Carb a piece of garlic bread so with a side salad included this entire meal easily can be below 10 Net Carbs. That is a win in our books for something some filling and filled with comfort food goodness.
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT ENJOY:
Keto Lasagna with Zucchini Noodles
- 1 large zucchini , peeled and thinly sliced lengthwise into about 25 noodles (see video)
- 1 pound ground beef , cooked and drained
- 2 cups low carb marinara sauce
- 10 ounces chopped frozen spinach , thawed and drained
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Large pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 9x13 baking dish with oil.
- With a vegetable peeler slice zucchini vertically in order to achieve thin, flat noodles resembling lasagna noodles.
- Place noodles on a paper towel, sprinkle with salt and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine spinach, ricotta cheese, garlic, egg, 1/4 cup parmesan cheese and black pepper.
- Blot off noodles to remove any excess moisture. (The less moisture remaining in the noodles the better so do not skip this step)
- Make 1 layer of zucchini noodles at bottom of baking dish. Cover with 1/2 cup of sauce. Add another layer of noodles, spread ricotta mixture, sprinkle 1 cup of mozzarella cheese. Add another layer of noodles, add layer of ground beef with 1 cup of sauce, more mozzarella cheese. Add another layer of zucchini noodles and continue until noodles and all ingredients are used up. Add the end cover with remaining noodles, remaining 1/2 cup of sauce, and remaining mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup parmesan cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 28-30 minutes, remove aluminum foil and bake for an additional 12 minutes, or until top is bubbly and golden brown.