Keto Low Carb Chicken Enchilada Casserole made with a few ingredients for a quick and comforting dinner for the family. It is cheesy, creamy and packed full of flavor. Can’t go wrong with this one.
A carb loaded version of this enchilada casserole use to be our favorite dinner years ago. It was so easy to make that it just became a favorite for the weekday dinners. Well, needless to say making it into a low carb version has been required.
….. and I actually prefer this low carb version. 😉
We use cream cheese to substitute the original refried beans to act as a binder, our low carb enchilada sauce and cheese… all the cheese in the world. 😉
We have a Chicken Enchilada Breakfast Casserole as well if you are looking for a breakfast version.
Note on the Cauliflower Rice
I’ve found that using cooked cauliflower rice worked pretty well as a replacement for the rice the original recipe called for.
Note: You can use fresh or frozen cauliflower rice. Both work well.
I personally found I preferred cooking the cauliflower rice on the skillet for 3-5 minutes on medium heat to remove any excess moisture, especially if I’m using frozen rice. Otherwise a little bit of the water will expel during the baking. It also ensures that the cauliflower will be fully cooked with the other veggies.
If you skip this step of removing the moisture from the cooked cauliflower rice it’s not the biggest deal but just a warning that is the results I came up with. I really like the dish to meld together with all the flavors as you see below the slices stayed together really well.
Recipe Note on the Chicken
I personally like simplicity with this recipe by using pre-cooked chicken. It is my go-to when recipe when I can buy a pre-cooked chicken.
We also tend to make a ton of chicken in the beginning of the week for meal-preps so simply shred up a few chicken breasts for this dinner is the easiest.
HOW MANY NET CARBS FOR OUR Low Carb Chicken Enchilada Casserole
8 Net Carbs for one slice when spitting the dish into 9 slices.Â One serving is enough for me when paired with a salad, baked vegetables like our oven roasted broccoli or prosciutto wrapped asparagus.
So however you divide the servings just keep in mind the info we are providing is for 1/9th of a slice of what the recipe makes.
This recipe re-heats wonderfully so if you are looking for a good meal-prep for lunches or dinner this is it.
You are more than welcome to use your own favorite enchilada sauce. It is not as widely available where we live right now so for those who are in the same shoes we’ve got a homemade low carb enchilada sauce for us!
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY THESE LOW CARB RECIPES:
- Low Carb Breakfast Lasagna Recipe
- Low Carb Mexican Cauli-Rice Casserole (dairy-free option)
- Low Carb Cheddar Broccoli Chicken Casserole
Keto Low Carb Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- 4 cups cauliflower 'rice' , cooked and squeezed dry with cheesecloth.
- 1 1/2 cup shredded chicken , cooked
- 1 cup cream cheese
- 2 cups low carb enchilada sauce
- 1 cup white onion , finely chopped
- 1 whole green pepper , finely chopped
- 1 whole red pepper , finely chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- In a large mixing bowl combine dry and squeezed of all moisture cauliflower rice, shredded cooked chicken, cream cheese, 1 cup enchilada sauce, onion, green pepper, and red pepper.
- Pour mixture into a 8x8 casserole dish. Top with remaining enchilada sauce and cheddar cheese. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 28-30 minutes or until mixture is bubbling and veggies are tender. Remove aluminum foil and cook additional 5-8 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro, if desired.