Low Carb Shepherd’s Pie. This recipe is everything you need from a classic comfort food. It’s a filling and easy to make dinner.
For my family the way to their hearts is with this Low Carb Shepherd’s Pie. I personally prefer myself a slab of low carb meatloaf if I’m going for a comfort food classic but each to their own.
One of the things that has this dinner going for it is the ease of it. It’s simple to whip together and if I’m feeling extra lazy I’ll just buy a frozen vegetable back with peas and carrots so I don’t have to do any cooking. Shoot, I just saw a bag of chopped frozen onions the other day so essentially.. This could be even easier with that!
I’m seriously so lazy this time of year, comfort foods like our Keto Chili recipe are what I go to. It’s dark so early that when I should really start cooking dinner my body is telling me it’s bed time.
Well with this dinner you can cook everything up in one pot, top with some mashed cauliflower potatoes and dinner is served!
You can use whatever type of meat you would like for this shepherd’s pie. Growing up in the Midwest our shepherd’s pies were made with beef growing. It is actually VERY rare to find ground lamb in our stores. But if you would like and have it available in your grocery stores feel free to swap the beef with lamb or any other ground meat your heart desires.
HOW MANY NET CARBS FOR OUR KETO LOW CARB SHEPHERD’S PIE
8 Net Carbs when splitting this into 10 servings.Â This recipe makes a tonnnn of food. A ton of comfort food is how we like it, am I right?
If you are new to this Low Carb/Keto lifestyle and are unsure what we are talking about please feel free toÂ read up more on Net Carbs and why people do or donâ€™t subtract sugar alcohols.
A note in the frozen peas. Our family personally is mid-range low carb family so adding peas to our dish doesn’t effect our carb counts for the day that much. If you are strict keto or 20grams and under low carb simply omit the peas to fit your personal daily carb intake.
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY THESE LOW CARB RECIPES:
- Keto Chili Recipe
- Unstuffed Cabbage Soup
- Smoked Salmon Cream Cheese Sauce
- Gluten-Free Meatloaf from This Vivacious Life.
Low Carb Shepherd's Pie
Low Carb Shepherd's Pie Filling
- 1 pound ground beef or ground lamb
- 1 small onion ,chopped
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 1/4 cup beef stock
Low Carb Mashed Cauliflower
- 1 (10 oz) riced cauliflower (fresh or frozen)
- 2 Tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cook the cauliflower any way you like. You can boil, steam or microwave. Whatever works.Using a cheesecloth or two colanders that fit inside each other, wring or press out as much liquid as you can from the cauliflower. The more water you get out of them, the more their consistency will be like mashed potatoes.Transfer the drained cauliflower to a food processor (or a bowl/pot if you have a stick blender) and blend with the other ingredients until well combined.
Shepherd's Pie Filling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- In a 3.5 Quart Dutch oven over medium heat, brown ground beef. Drain the beef fat out. Add onions, carrots. Saute veggies 3-4 minutes, or until veg is tender.
- Stir in peas, tomatoes, basil, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, arrowroot, and beef stock.
- Spoon mashed cauliflower over pie filling. Place lid onto dutch oven and into the oven for 30-35 minutes.
Please note that the nutrition data below is provided as a courtesy. We try to be accurate with this information but feel free to make your own calculations.