KETO ZUCCHINI TACO BOATS ARE EVERYTHING YOU LOVE ABOUT BOLD AND HEARTY TACOS, BUT WITHOUT THE CARBS! ADD YOUR FAVORITE TOPPINGS AND ENJOY THESE HANDHELD BOATS OF DELICIOUSNESS FOR TACO TUESDAY… OR ANY DAY!
Sure, taco bowls are fun. And we love ourselves a tasty taco salad. But if we’re being honest, tacos are just meant to be eaten with your hands. That’s why we love these keto zucchini taco boats! They’re perfect to load up with all those delicious ingredients and bold Mexican flavors, plus you get to sneak in a serving of veggies. That’s a win-win if you ask us!
LET’S TACO BOUT THESE KETO ZUCCHINI BOATS
When it comes to low carb veggies, zucchini is a pretty amazing ingredient. You can use it to make noodles for your Keto Lasagna, add it to the batter for a tender loaf of Zucchini Bread, or bulk up your tasty Low Carb Frittata for weekend brunch. Cauliflower gets a lot of credit for being a practical low carb veggie, but honestly, zucchini is just as versatile!
So what makes zucchini so great for keto-friendly cooking? It comes down to the summer squash’s mild flavor, which means it won’t take away from the rest of your recipe. In this dish, for example, it really allows the taco flavors to shine. And as a bonus, using the zucchini as boats means you get to eat these tacos with your hands! Which is, let’s face it, so much more fun than using a fork.
THE PERFECT VESSEL FOR YOUR TACOS
Now that we’ve established why zucchini is the key to your perfect taco night, it’s time to build some boats! First, you’ll wash the two zucchini, slice off the ends, then cut them lengthwise down the middle and scoop out the seeds. Make sure you create a nice well for your taco ingredients.
Next, throw the ground meat in a skillet over medium heat. Either ground beef or ground turkey will work perfectly! Cook until the meat starts to brown, about 3-4 minutes, then drain most of the grease until you have about a tablespoon left in the pan. Add the diced bell pepper and taco seasoning and keep cooking until the meat is fully browned and the peppers have softened.
Then, add your canned green chilis and salsa and mix everything together. Once everything is fully heated through, spoon the filling into the zucchini boats and bake at 400°F for 15 minutes. Once they’re finished baking, throw on your favorite toppings and dig in!
WHATEVER TOPPINGS FLOAT YOUR BOAT
So what should you add on top of your zucchini tacos? The answer is really anything you want! To keep zucchini taco boats keto, stick to low carb toppings like cojita cheese, sour cream, lime juice, or cilantro. You could also add shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, or even some diced jalapeños for a spicy kick.
And of course, there’s never a bad time to whip up some Low Carb Guacamole. Add it on top, or enjoy it on the side with pork rinds or Low Carb Cheese Chips. After all, what’s taco night without a little guac?
Really, all you have to do is imagine your perfect taco. Picture the toppings that will bring it to life. Then, throw them in the boat and enjoy taco night to the fullest!
Check out these Italian Vegetarian Stuffed Zucchini Boats by Veggie Balance.
HOW MANY NET CARBS IN A Keto ZUCCHINI TACO BOAT?
6 Net Carbs per taco boat. We calculated this based on the ingredients listed in this recipe. If you choose to add other toppings, make sure to factor in those carbs on top! We all love our toppings, but you don’t want to go too far and accidentally eat way more carbs that you meant to.
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT ENJOY
- Mexican Cauliflower Rice
- Keto Low Carb Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Low Carb Stuffed Peppers
- Low Carb Southwestern Turkey Skillet
- Chicken Paprikash
- Steak Tacos using Pan Seared Steak by It’sYummi
Keto Zucchini Taco Boats
- 2 medium zucchini (our are definitely in the medium-large range)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 pound ground beef (or ground turkey)
- 2 Tablespoons low carb taco seasoning
- 1/2 red bell pepper , diced
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 4 ounces canned green chilies
- 1/2 cup cotija cheese for topping
- sour cream, lime juice, cilantro for other toppings
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Clean zucchini and cut the ends off. Cut down the middle length wise and scoop on seeds to created a well / boat in the zucchini. Brush with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook the ground beef until it is browned. Drain any remaining greasing off cooked beef except one tablespoon.
- Add taco seasoning and bell pepper. Continue to cook until peppers begin to soften.
- Add canned green chilies and salsa, continue to cook until heated through. (apprx 5minutes)
- Spoon prepared filling into center of zucchini boats.Bake for 15-20minutes, or until zucchini is tender (Cooking time will vary depending on your zucchini size)
- Sprinkle cojita cheese on top. Add sour cream, lime juice, guacamole, cilantro or even hot sauce. Whatever you normally enjoy on your tacos.