If you are joining family for Easter this year and are not sure if there will be anything that accommodates your eating plan, try taking this along with you. Everyone will enjoy the presentation and you can comfortably snack while still sticking to your plan!
Truth be told, this could easily make a nice spread for some low carb bread or crackers too. But I’m a firm believer in fiber with this way of eating, so I went with veggies.
If this was just for me, I would have stuck with all low carb veggies. But since I know everyone else at the table will want some too, I added carrots and cherry tomatoes. Otherwise, I would have stuck with broccoli, cauliflower and celery.
This recipe was inspired by a post I saw from Handmade In The Heartland. But I didn’t have the product promoted in her post and didn’t want to buy anything extra. So I made my own ranch mix and used that. Turned out fabulous!!
If I were to do this again (maybe next year!), I will go with all white cheeses for the bunny. But it turned out cute with the cheddar too, and despite my dairy allergy, I enjoyed a small sample before the holiday. As much as I try to avoid dairy, sometimes, it’s worth the splurge!
Recipe Notes: Have a little patience when applying the cheese to the outside. It takes a little time, but it’s totally worth it. Also note that this was a tough recipe to measure. I guessed that it’s about 4 cups in total. So the nutrition data below may not be very accurate. Consider it a ballpark.
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY:
- 2 (8 oz.) packages cream cheese
- 1 (8 oz.) package sour cream
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella, divided
- 2 cups shredded cheddar, divided
- 1 medium bell pepper (green is lowest in carbs, but red is prettier)
- 1 tbsp. onion powder
- 1 tbsp. dried chives
- 1 tbsp. dried parsley
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried dill
- 1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 2 tsp. erythritol or 4 drops pure, liquid stevia (optional)
- 1/4 lb. bacon, cooked and broken into small bits
- 1 medium bellpepper
- a few sprigs fresh thyme for whiskers.
- sliced olives for the eyes (end cuts are best)
- In a large mixing bowl, mash together the cream cheese, sour cream, 1 cup each of the cheeses, the spices and sweetener if using. Mix well. (An electric hand beater would come in handy here!)
Fold in the bacon.
Lay out a large piece of plastic wrap or parchment.
Put down the remaining cheeses (2 cups total) and spread out a bit over your surface.
Transfer the ball of dip on top of the cheese, and begin picking up the extra cheese and pressing it into the ball until it is covered all the way around with shredded cheese.
When done, you can easily pick up the ball without anything sticking to your hands.
Transfer the ball to your serving plate.
Cut the bell pepper into ears and a nose and sick them into the ball until they stay put.
Press in a few whiskers and finally the eyes.
Serve with veggies or low carb crackers.
Nutrition Data According To MyFitnessPal.com
(May not be totally accurate. Data is for 1 tbsp. and based on a 4 cup yield.)