Everyone loves a good casserole and this classically flavored, low carb cheddar broccoli chicken casserole recipe is one you can add to your list of good ones.
I love this recipe because it comes together so fast and easy. If you purchase your chicken frozen, you only need to thaw it enough to be able to cut it. (slightly frozen chicken is always easier to cut anyway!). You can use frozen items for almost all of the ingredients, have this put together in about 5 to 10 minutes, pop it in the oven and dinner is ready an hour later. Not a bad way to get dinner on the table on a busy evening.
If you use a good, sharp cheddar, you can’t even tell that this recipe uses cauliflower. The parmesan and cheddar override the cauliflower flavor almost completely.
I will say that this casserole really retains it’s heat. This is SUPER hot out of the oven, so allow some time for it to cool before you serve it. Particularly if you are serving it to kids. It’s pretty toasty even by adult standards. So don’t burn yourself!
Also note that the time this takes to cook can vary by oven. So please use a meat thermometer to check and see if the chicken is completely cooked. They are small pieces, so they should cook pretty evenly. But it’s always safest to check.
Serve this casserole with a side salad of dark greens with a fatty dressing for a wonderful evening meal. The leftovers the next day are pretty tasty too!
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY THESE LOW CARB RECIPES:
LOW CARB CHEDDAR BROCCOLI CHICKEN CASSEROLE RECIPE:
Low Carb Chicken Broccoli & Rice Casserole
- 2 (12 oz.) packages frozen, riced cauliflower
- 3 cups chopped broccoli
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese (the real stuff)
- 1/4 cup oil
- 3 cups grated sharp cheddar
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Chop the chicken into small, bite-sized pieces and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in the cauliflower, broccoli, parmesan, 1 cup of the cheddar, garlic powder and onion powder. Mix well.
- Pour the oil into a casserole dish (mine was 8 X 9) and make sure the entire bottom of the dish gets evenly covered in it.
- Transfer the casserole mix to the casserole dish, flatten the surface slightly, making it as even as possible.
- Sprinkle the remaining 2 cups of cheddar over the top.
- Cover the casserole dish tightly with foil.
- Bake for 60 minutes. Check temperature of chicken to be sure it's at least 165 F. using a meat thermometer.
- Allow time to cool, then cut and serve.