Love Chinese food? Me too!! And one of my all time favorites is chicken fried rice. Particularly this low carb Chinese chicken fried rice recipe. There is just something about the texture and “mouth feel” of this dish that totally puts it over the top for me. But all that rice doesn’t exactly fit into my eating plan these days, let alone carrots and peas. I mean, carrots are fine in small amounts, but I don’t use them much these days so I didn’t even have them in the fridge to use for this. So instead, I came up with this low carb Chinese chicken fried rice recipe that could definitely rival the store bought stuff.
I replaced the carrots with cabbage and the peas with celery. I used the tamari in moderation and just for flavor to keep the carbs down and used plenty of oil to get the fat content up (for keto). If you don’t want to use a ton of oil, have a little bit of chicken broth handy to keep things cooking in the wok or skillet without burning. Because if you don’t want extra fat, then the sesame oil become more of a flavoring than a base for cooking. In fact, if the fat count is still too high for you, you could easily cut back to 1 tablespoon and saute everything in chicken stock. I went “middle of the road” for the sake of the nutrition data. But the amount of sesame oil is totally adjustable to your need.
However, if you eat keto, load up on that sesame oil! It’s good for you and adds a ton of flavor to this dish.
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY THESE LOW CARB RECIPES:
LOW CARB CHINESE CHICKEN FRIED RICE RECIPE:
Low Carb Chinese Chicken Fried Rice Recipe
- 2 tbsp. sesame oil (1/4 cup for keto)
- 1/4 cup yellow onion - chopped fine
- 1/4 cup celery - chopped fine
- 12 oz. raw chicken breasts - chopped into small pieces
- 2 medium garlic cloves - chopped fine
- 1/2 cup green cabbage - chopped fine
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp. tamari sauce (soy sauce or coconut aminos work too)
- 12 oz. cauli-rice (I used a frozen, 12 oz. package)
- salt and pepper to taste after cooking
- sesame seeds for garnish
- In a large wok or skillet, warm the oil over medium heat and then add the onion and celery. Cook until the onion is translucent.
- Add in the chicken breasts and continue cooking until the chicken is cooked through and tender.
- Quickly toss in the garlic cloves and cabbage.
- Stir in the eggs. Once the eggs are cooked, stir in the tamari sauce and cauliflower. Cook until the cauliflower is cooked through.
- Season with salt and pepper to your liking and serve with sesame seed sprinkled over the top.