Need a low carb gift to give for Valentine’s Day this year? Give these low carb chocolate covered marzipan hearts a try!
I’ve been blogging about food and recipes for about 9 years now, and I can honestly say this low carb chocolate covered marizpan hearts recipe has got to be one of my best recipes to date. I was surprised that it tasted even better than store bought marzipan.
You see, I grew up with marzipan. In my very stern, German household, marzipan could put a smile on any stubborn face. And around the holidays, the smiles they were aplenty!
My mom loved marzipan the most. Every year, for as long as I can remember, I would buy her a couple chocolate covered marzipan bars as well as a marzipan pig with a candy four-leaf clover or gold coin in it’s mouth, which means good luck to many Germans. (Among other symbols like ladybugs and red and white polka-dot capped mushrooms. All done up as a sweet confection during the holidays, of course.)
My mom passed away this past August and Christmas was really difficult for all of us. But I kept the tradition alive by buying the same marzipan pig for my son, who inherited his grandmother’s love of this annual dose of almond deliciousness.
As for me, I was never that big of a fan of the store-bought variety. I mean, I liked the stuff, but I could take it or leave it simply because it always seemed to lack a tiny bit of flavor in some way. Probably because they were made here in the states. You could never say that about marzipan purchased in Germany!
But now, I’m happy to say that I have found a marzipan I truly love and can get excited about! I’ll be enjoying these low carb chocolate covered marzipan hearts for Valentines Day this year and you can bet I’ll make a Christmas version when the time comes as well. YUM!
I purchased a chocolate mold that gave me 8 hearts. The dough was enough for 9 hearts, so the data below will reflect that. Also note that I did not include the chocolate in the data for two reasons. First, everyone likes their own brand of low carb chocolate (I use Lily’s). Second, while I estimate that I used about 1/2 a bar of their baking chocolate, it’s hard to know exactly how much was used to cover the hearts, particularly on the hearts which were not completely covered. So giving you accurate data would be difficult.
NOTE ON CARBS:
I figured the data with and without the erythritol. This is a sugar alcohol and adds 5 carbs to the total count (for a total of 8g, but 7 grams of fiber). Without it, the count is only 3 grams with 2 grams of fiber for a net of 1 carbs per serving. As far as I know, most low carb eaters do not count sugar alcohols, but the choice is yours. I just wanted to provide you with as much information as I possibly can. Please note that this data is reliant on the accuracy of the recipe calculator used. I can’t guarantee its totally correct. (See data below)
BLANCH YOUR OWN ALMONDS:
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY THESE LOW CARB RECIPES:
LOW CARB CHOCOLATE COVERED MARZIPAN HEARTS RECIPE:
Low Carb Marzipan Recipe
- In a food processor, blend the almonds until you have a fine flour.
- Add in the erythritol and blend quickly just to combine.
- Add the stevia, almond extract and 1/2 tsp. water.
- Blend well for at least 1 full minute.
- If, when you pinch the dough together it's still crumbly, add another 1/2 tsp. and blend for another full minute.
- Repeat this process until you can form the marzipan into a soft, almost sticky ball of dough. Make sure it's not so sticky that big bits sticks to your hands. If you get too much water in there, add 1 tbsp at a time of the erythritol until it balances out, blending between each addition.
- Roll the marzipan or press it into molds and place in the fridge. If you press into a mold, thing swill go quicker if you place it in the freezer for a couple of hours.
- Then (if you want it to be chocolate covered) you can melt a bar of low carb chocolate in the microwave. First for 1 minute, then at 30 second intervals, stirring each time until the chocolate is fully melted and drizzle over your marzipan.
I hope you enjoy these low carb chocolate covered marzipan hearts this Valentine’s day!