I have always loved stroganoff. There’s just something about this comforting meal that soothes my soul. It’s the right combination of chewy, creamy and filling.
Now that I have officially given up dairy for good, (there’s only so sick you can get before you realize you have to leave something behind!) I was really missing this family favorite. So I decided to get creative.
Since fat is something that is encouraged in most versions of low carb eating, I had no problem piling on the mayo. And truth be told, you can add as much as you want to get as much “sauce” as you like. My only suggestion is that if you really like a lot of sauce, thin it out a bit with some chicken broth. I left mine thick (as you can see in my photos) because I don’t mind eating it that way. But for more sauce, just mix in more of that mayo and some chicken broth, and you’ll think you are eating the real stuff!
- In a large skillet, saute the onions and mushrooms until the mushrooms just are a bit wilted.
- Stir in the ground meat and garlic powder and cook until done.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the mayonnaise. Add more and thin with chicken broth if more sauce is desired.
- Add salt and pepper to taste (Thought I didn't think this needed any salt!)
- I served this over zoodles (spiralized zucchini), but you could also serve this over riced cauliflower for more of a rice dish. Either way, yum!
Nutrition Data According To MyFitnessPal.com
(May not be totally accurate.):