I recently made a Low Carb Gumbo recipe that was to die for. Often, Gumbo is served over rice, but of course, that’s too high in carbs. Lately, I’ve really hopped onto the cauli-rice train. It’s really very similar to rice, both in flavor and texture, although it’s more like an al dente rice. But very good! I love herbal rice, so I gave it a try with the riced cauliflower. It was delicious!!!
I got my riced cauliflower at Trader Joe’s. They have both frozen and fresh. I used the fresh one here, but frozen would work well too.
The only thing you want to be sure of when making this is to turn off the heat on your stove top before adding the herbs. Stirring in the herbs should happen just after turning the heat off. It should happen immediately and stirring should happen quickly. This will allow the heat still in the food to take on the flavor of the herbs without losing flavor to overcooking. Think “al dente” on the herbs and this will turn out perfect for you.
And just a side note, this would be crazy good with butter instead of oil. But if you’re dairy free like me, the oil version is amazing as well. Give it a try, it cooks up fast!!
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY:
- 3 tbsp. oil
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups riced cauliflower
- 2 tbsp. fresh, chopped thyme (hard stems removed)
- 2 tbsp. fresh, flat leaf parsley (Italian parsley)
- salt to taste
- Warm the oil in a large skillet and saute the garlic for about 1 minute over medium heat.
- Turn the heat up to high and quickly add the cauliflower, stirring well to mix in the garlic.
- Cook for approximately 3-5 minutes (until it's cooked to your liking).
- Turn off the heat and quickly stir in the fresh herbs.
- Season with salt to taste and serve. (A little salt goes a long way with this one)
Nutrition Data According To MyFitnessPal.com
(May not be totally accurate):