Take these Low Carb Hot Dog Buns to your next cookout and enjoy all the fun summer has in store without suffering your blood sugar levels. Bonus! They are gluten-free!
The warmer months are upon us and you know what that means!
Barbecues, picnics and social gatherings! And inevitably, somebody always serves hot dogs. I cannot wait!
The thing with hot dogs though is that while some are low carb, most are packed with not-so-good-for-you ingredients. Gluten-Free Hot Dogs are even that much harder to come by.
I try to eat clean, it’s a pretty rare occasion when I’ll give in and have one. But there are those occasions (clean eating has an 80/20 rule!), when I do, and when I do, I bring along these hot dog buns so that my blood sugar doesn’t pay the price for my occasional treat.
How Many Net Carbs per Serving in our Low Carb Hot Dogs?
- 3 Net Carbs! Now if you ask me that is way better than if you were to go the traditional hot dog bun route. Our blood sugar levels are going to thank us.
This idea came from a post I saw on Facebook. Unfortunately, it was just an image without any credit, so I have no idea who to give credit to on this. It was called 90 Second Bread. I did adapt the recipe ever so slightly to make it dairy free and change the measurements to accommodate making the buns.
Please note that you will need a small, microwave-safe casserole dish for this. Mine was 5×7. Also, watch those hot dogs! Many can have hidden carbs, not to mention yucky ingredients!
The process for these is pretty simple.
How to get fluffy and soft low-carb hot dog buns
- I’ve played around with this recipe since posting this and I found that the texture of the bread becomes much softer and fluffier with an extra 2 tbsp. of oil. I leave it to you and your macros to make the choice.
HAVING HAMBURGERS?? We’ve got you covered.
Simply cook these in small, microwave safe bowls instead of a casserole dish. Depending on the size of your bowl, you can get 3 to 4 buns from this recipe. Look for a bowl that has straight sides. The base/bottom of the bowl will be the size of the final bun. You can see the process photos for burger buns here.
Directions in case you want to oven bake and not microwave.
If you don’t have a microwave or you just would like to avoid using it here are how to make low carb hot dog buns in the oven.
Bake at 350 degrees F for about 20-25 minutes. Slice the buns in the pan and check for any lingering moisture below. You may need to pop back in for another 5 minutes as ovens vary.
Low Carb Hot Dog Buns
- In a microwave-safe casserole dish, use a fork to mash all the ingredients together until you have a smooth batter.
- Microwave for 2 minutes.
- Cut the bread into three pieces lengthwise.
- Turn the bread out onto a plate. If there is any wetness still on the bottom, microwave for at least another 30 seconds.
- Turn each piece on it's side, and cut half way down, creating your hot dog bun.
- Add your hot dog and top with low carb toppings such as savory pickles, mustard and mayo!