This low carb salmon Buddha bowl makes a delicious lunch for two!
Sometimes, I just need a huge bowl of veggies.
I know, I know. The carbs add up fast, even with veggies. But I’m a firm believer that our bodies need those veggies for important nutrients. So I try very hard not to skimp.
This huge bowl of veggies is either a large lunch for one (with extra carbs), or a regular size lunch for two (with lower carbs).
It can take a little planning for the prep work because the salmon and hard boiled eggs are prepared separately and differently (obviously) and of course, you have to prep the veggies. But it becomes much easier if you buy the kale and red cabbage already chopped. Whatever works for you.
This low carb salmon Buddha bowl has a good, strong flavor from the teriyaki and is totally delicious!
Because I was craving veggies, I ate the whole thing by myself. But I made up for it by reducing carbs from the rest of my day. So it all balanced out.
Whatever you do, don’t skip marinating the salmon. It doesn’t have to take a long time, and it makes a huge difference in the flavor of the overall salad. Share your salad or keep it all to yourself, either way, you’ll be getting lots of healthy, low carb veggies in this low carb salmon Buddha bowl!
Please note that you will not be using the entire bottle of teriyaki sauce. You’ll have some left over for another day.
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY THESE LOW CARB RECIPES:
LOW CARB SALMON BUDDHA BOWL RECIPE:
Low Carb Salmon Teriyaki Buddha Bowl
- 1 lb. salmon (de-boned, wild caught is best)
- 1/4 cup low carb teriyaki sauce + extra for dressing (see recipe below)
- 2 large eggs (hard boiled)
- 1 cup baby kale (chopped)
- 2/3 cup cucumbers (quartered or chopped to your liking)
- 2/3 cup avocado (chopped - about 1 medium avocado)
- 1 cup chopped red cabbage (chopped)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup low carb teriyaki sauce (see recipe below)
- Marinate the salmon in the teriyaki sauce for approximately 1 hour in the refrigerator. Combining the two in a food-safe plastic bag will do the trick. I always turn mine upside down so the flesh is sitting directly in the marinade.
- Preheat your oven to 350 F. and bake the salmon for 20 minutes or until it reaches your desired level of "doneness". (Totally not a word, I know...)
- Hard boil your eggs and remove the shells. Then chop.
- When the salmon is finished baking, allow it to cool slightly and then remove the skin.
- Cut up the salmon into chunks or shred with forks.
- Toss everything together in a bowl with the dressing and divide in half to share or save for tomorrow's lunch.
LOW CARB TERIYAKI SAUCE RECIPE:
Low Carb Teriyaki Sauce Recipe
- 1/2 cup tamari sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp. powdered ginger
- 2 tsp. white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tbsp. low carb granular sweetener (I used xylitol)
- Place all ingredients into a food-safe bottle with a lid and shake to combine.
- Allow to sit in the fridge for 1 hour before using to let the sweetener fully dissolve into the sauce.
- Use as a marinade for chicken, fish, beef or pork.
- Use about 1/4 cup per 1 1/2 lb. meat.
- Shake well before each use.