Sometimes, you just a fast recipe that nobody will complain about. Recipes like this low carb spaghetti squash casserole recipe.
I will preface this by saying that it’s only face if you pre-cook the squash however. Otherwise, you’ll need to tack on an hour of baking time for the squash. I cooked my squash the day before so it was ready to go.
Once that was set, all I had left to do was brown the meat, stir everything together and pop it in the oven for 30 minutes. I think the prep time took me all of 15 minutes (20 at the most). Not to shabby for a from-scratch, home cooked meal.
Now, my little guy doesn’t much care for cheese at all. How I ever birthed a child who doesn’t like cheese is beyond me. But birth him, I did, and liking cheese is just not this thing.
I was born with an allergy to dairy and I was always concerned when he was really little that he might end up with the same allergy. But instead, he just has an intense dislike for it. Not great when you want to make a cheese casserole.
You may be wondering why I would do that if I’m allergic. My allergy isn’t severe. I just get a little puffy from it. So sometimes, I’ll splurge and enjoy something delightfully cheesy. Because… it’s cheesy!!! Need I say more?
So I compromised by not putting too much cheese as a topping on this. If you don’t mind extra fats and like things to be a bit cheesier, you could mix in an extra 1/2 cup of mozzarella into the mix bowl with everything else, or simply add additional cheese on top of the casserole. Either way, it’ll be tasty. But it’s not critical. This dish is delicious just as the recipe is written. In fact, I’m making it again to take to a friend’s house for dinner. Can’t wait!
P.S. – Mini Chef loved this after he picked off most of the mozzarella. Haha!
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY THESE LOW CARB RECIPES:
LOW CARB SPAGHETTI SQUASH CASSEROLE RECIPE:
Low Carb Spaghetti Squash Casserole Recipe
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. dried parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped, yellow onion
- 1/4 cup chopped bell pepper (I used red, but green has fewer carbs. Your choice)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese (the real stuff)
- 1 (3.8 oz.) can sliced, black olives
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella (hand shredded is best for clean eating)
- In a large mixing bowl, separate the flesh of the squash from the skin and shred with a fork. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, brown the turkey in the oil.
- Add in the garlic powder, parsley, onions and bell pepper and continue to cook until the meat is cooked through.
- Cool slightly, then transfer to the mixing bowl with the squash.
- Add the parmesan and olives and mix well.
- Transfer to an oiled casserole dish and smooth the top with a spatula. The size is optional, but the smaller it is, the higher/thicker your serving pieces will be. Just keep in mind you want to cut this into 6 pieces after it cooks. So don't go too small. My pan was 8 X 9.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella on top and bake at 350 F. for at least 30 minutes or until the cheese is melted on top and has some golden brown spots.
- Cool slightly, cut and serve.