I love making my own ice cream. Mostly because I can’t have dairy and it’s impossible to find both a low carb AND dairy free ice cream in the stores. It just doesn’t seem to exist. So I bought an ice cream maker and I’ve never looked back!
I enjoy playing off the flavors of the coconut milk simply because that’s what I most often use for making ice cream. So this time around, I played with some Thai flavors and ended up with this lovely and delicious ice cream.
This isn’t an overly sweet ice cream either. At least not as sweet as the store bought varieties. If you prefer a sweeter ice cream, I recommend adding a bit more stevia instead of more erythritol. But I promise, this is nice and sweet as it is. Just a gentle sweetness that is perfect after a larger meal or as an afternoon treat on a hot day.
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY THESE LOW CARB RECIPES:
- Low Carb Coconut Vanilla Ice Cream
- Low Carb Chocolate Sherbet Ice Cream
- Low Carb Keto Chocolate Mousse
- 1 (6 inch) stalk dried lemon grass
- 2 (15 oz.) cans full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup erythritol (powdered is best, but not necessary)
- 1/4 tsp. pure liquid stevia
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 medium lime, zested (only the zest is used here)
- 1 tbsp. chopped peanuts per serving
- 4 large egg yolks, lightly beaten with a fork
Bring the coconut milk, lemongrass, vanilla, stevia and lime zest to a simmer in a medium pot.
Simmer for 20 minutes, then add the erythritol and simmer for another 10 minutes.
Temper your egg yolks by removing some of the hot liquid and transferring it to a small bowl. Slowly whisk in the the yolks, and then slowly whisk that mixture back into the pot of simmering coconut milk.
Remove from heat and allow to cool almost completely.
Transfer to ice cream machine and process to manufacturer's directions for your particular ice cream maker.
Serve with chopped peanuts sprinkled over the top.
Nutrition Data According To MyFitnessPal.com
(May not be totally accurate. Note that without the sugar alcohols, this comes out to about 7 net carbs per serving.):