These Low Carb Tortillas are everything you are craving since going low-carb. Ready yourself for taco Tuesday with these 1 Net Carb Tortillas.
I saw a version of these somewhere and my imagination immediately started to do cartwheels. I was initially a little concerned about them tasting too “eggy” to be used like regular tortillas.
To my surprise, they were really, really tasty!
Adjusting to this Low Carb Tortilla Batter and Tortilla Tips
- I will say that the batter takes a little getting used to working with.
- Allow the batter to sit for about 5 to 10 minutes before you start to cook it, the whole process will be better because it allows the psyllium husks to absorb liquid and expand, giving you more of an actual batter consistency.
- You want to pour the batter onto a hot skillet and then with a spoon gently continue to push the batter outwards until it reaches your desired sized. The thinner you make it the thinner your tortillas will be.
Our secret ingredient for our low carb tortillas
- Psyllium Husk! (affiliate link) It’s actually used often for vegan egg replacements but in this case it works amazing for our tortillas.
- With this secret ingredient 6 tortillas are just 1 Net Carb. You are welcome.
I bet you could make tortilla chips with these tortillas! Ok we are trying that next. Sliced and baked tortillas make tortilla chips so I don’t see why this wouldn’t for this!
Making tortillas ahead of time or meal-preps
- I wanted to have fajitas for dinner, so I made these up the night before and chilled them in the fridge overnight.
- Then I made my fajitas as usual and warmed these on the stove top like a regular tortilla and used them for my wraps. I’m telling you, they were delicious!! In fact, I could eat these all by themselves (I did, actually)!
I plan on investigating more possibilities with egg and psyllium husk. I really feel like the possibilities are endless with this combination! These were absolutely wonderful and they are even great with spices added like cumin. Give it a try!
HOW MANY CARBS PER LOW CARB TORTILLA
1 Net Carbs per tortilla. You can easily make them larger or smaller and that will change the carb count. So if you want to make these even smaller then that is something that you can do!
I think the most perfect part of this recipe is it’s just 1 Net Carb and I feel like we’ve been missing out on the good things in life. Because in this household Taco Tuesday is a real holiday and we’ve got to get our taco cravings curbed.
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY THESE LOW CARB RECIPES:
Low Carb Tortillas
- 6 large whole eggs
- 3 tbsp. psyllium husks powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- oil for cooking
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together all the ingredients until well combined.
- Set the bowl aside for about 5 to 10 minutes to allow the psyllium to absorb enough liquid.
- Warm plenty of oil in a large skillet.
- Pour out a medium-sized spoonful of batter into the hot skillet. Spread the batter until you have a tortilla about the same size as a standard corn tortilla.
- Cook on both sides until they have a very slight hint of browning.
- These can store in the fridge for about 3 days and can freeze for up to 4 months.