A classic sweet and tart classic pie made keto. This sugar-free lemon meringue pie is an easy recipe made with a simple lemon curd and low carb crust.
You know that elated feeling you get when you realize you’ve got all the ingredients for something sweet you want to make? Yeah… this is probably going to happen with this Keto Lemon Meringue Pie.
This pie is pulled together with basic ingredients that we regularly have stocked and I’d think you might too so lets get to making some pie!
We haven’t made a pie in a while and when I was trying to think about what I wanted I quickly realized that we’ve got all the recipes already to make a fabulous Lemon Meringue Pie so let us put it all together!
We’ve got our fabulous low carb crust. This crust has become easily a family staple for all our pies. We’ve even been told be people they literally could not tell a difference to a normal crust.
The best part? All you need for the crust is these simple ingredients you see below.
World’s Best Lemon Meringue without Condensed Milk
So I’m not sure what you’ve grown up with but jello and a jar of condensed milk were both regular occurrences in my household.
Sidebar: making your own keto condensed milk is something that happened recently and I’m not against it entirely if it makes me fudge.
However, as you know we’ve drastically have stepped away from those type of ingredients on the regular and really try to make as much from scratch within reason. The filling is an example of it.
Check out this Keto Peanut Butter Mousse from Wholesome Yum!
How to Make Lemon Meringue with Lemon Curd
Can you use lemon curd for lemon meringue pie? YES!
It truly is as simple as using our popular lemon curd recipe for the filling. It really is the perfect filling for a lemon meringue pie. There is a bit of a science to it so be sure to read the directions carefully.
You want to temper your egg yolks very similar to the process that we did in our Keto Ice Cream.
The result: Delicious Sugar-Free Lemon Meringue Pie. It is seriously DIVINE.
HOW MANY NET CARBS FOR A Slice of Keto Lemon Meringue Pie
5 Net Carbs a slice. We calculated it as dividing the entire pie into 8 slices. This is pretty above average slices
You can change up the type of sugar alcohol you use as well so be sure to check out our low carb conversion chart if you plan to use another type.
We do subtract ALL sugar alcohols in order to get our Net Carbs.
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY THESE LOW CARB RECIPES:
- Low Carb Cornbread Muffins Recipe
- Low Carb Rosemary Sandwich Bread Recipe
- Healthy Low-Sugar Strawberry Lemonade
Keto Lemon Meringue Pie (Sugar-Free Lemon Meringue Pie)
- 1 batch of low carb pie crust
Keto Lemon Curd
- 3 egg whites ,
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Prepare low carb crust according to instructions. Press dough into a oiled pie or tart pan. Bake for 325 degrees F for 15minutes.
- Prepare lemon curd by placing a small pot over medium-low heat. Add lemon juice and heat until lukewarm.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl whisk together egg yolks, powdered erythritol, arrowroot powder, stevia powder and lemon zest. Whisk the warm lemon juice into the egg mixture to temper the eggs, keep whisking until all the juice is incorporated.
- Return the entire back of lemon curd to the pot and heat over medium heat, whisking at a medium pace. (NOTE: The trick to a good custard is continuous stirring. Not fast like scrambling eggs, but not so slow that things bubble or boil.)
- Continue stirring until the sauce thickens (about 3-5 minutes). Once thickened, pour the lemon curd into the prepared pie crust and place uncovered in the fridge for at least 2hours to stiffen and cool.
- Prepare your meringue topping by beating egg whites in a medium bowl with cream of tartar until egg whites are glossy and form stiff peaks.
- Spoon meringue onto top of pie dab to create peaks for browning. Set under a high heat broiler for a few minutes, turning occasionally to get an even cook. Watch carefully as you want to the meringue to toast but not burn. Once it reaches your desired consistency. Allow to chill in the refrigerator for another hour before serving.