I know there are a ton of deviled egg recipes out there. But one thing that I haven’t seen many people do is play around with the spices they use in their own versions.
My grandmother always topped off her deviled eggs with paprika. Because I grew up watching her make them that way, I make them that way too.
But on my last trip to the health food store, (I buy my spices in bulk because they are so much cheaper!!) I found a Hungarian paprika that smelled absolutely divine. Paprika is a wonderful spice with so many varieties. Each variety brings it’s own personality to a recipe, so it’s a fun spice to play around with. Smoked paprika would work really well here as well.
NEED SOMETHING TO KEEP THOSE DEVILED EGGS IN?
They won’t slip around in this deviled egg tray with a lid! (amazon affiliate link)
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY:
- 1 dozen hard boiled eggs
- 1 cup mayonnaise (watch sugar content!)
- 1 tsp. hungarian paprika, divided
- 1/4 lb. bacon, cooked and chopped
- Cut the eggs in half lengthwise and remove the yolks, collecting them in a mixing bowl. Set the whites aside.
- Into the yolks mix the mayonnaise and 1/2 tsp. hungarian paprika.
- To fill the whites, lay them out on a platter and either spoon the yolk mixture into the whites, or use a cake bag with a tip to refill the whites with yolk.
- Sprinkle bacon pieces over the tops and use the last 1/2 tsp. of paprika to sprinkle over the tops.
- Store in the fridge until ready to serve.
Nutrition Data According To MyFitnessPal.com
(May not be totally accurate):