Low Carb Chicken Fajitas will satisfy your whole family, packed with juicy flavor. Sheet pan dinner that is easy, keto and just plain AMAZING.
Keto Sheet Plan Chicken Fajitas are sure to sizzle their way into your heart. Less clean up, we love sheet pan dinners. But this one holds a special place.
Low Carb Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas 101
What are you looking for with a sheet pan dinner? Simplicity? Flavor? Fewer dishes to clean? All of the above.
Did you know that fajitas, a classic Tex-Mex recipe, haven’t been around very long? It’s true. In terms of culinary history, chicken fajitas have a short one.
The marinated meat dish arose in the 1930s in Texas with steak fajitas, which essentially served as a way to use cheap cuts of meat. The modern version of fajitas is much more flavorful and complex and has expanded to other meats. Enter this low carb chicken fajita dish, complete with Tex-Mex sizzle and flavor.
Whoever started this revolution – my hat goes off to you. It is seriously one of our FAVORITE dinners to make during the week and when having company over. You’ll see why. 😉
What you’ll need: Boneless chicken breasts, limes, olive oil, chili powder, smoked paprika, salt, bell peppers, red onion and your favorite tortillas make the magic happen for your low-carb delight. And if you’re on board, a little cilantro.
Tortilla Options…. Mmmm tortillas.
- Low Carb Tortillas – first option and personally my favorite when I want something pretty traditional is our Low Carb Tortillas using psyllium husk powder. You can make these tortillas as thick or thin as you’d like. It took me a bit to figure out how to make them thin, it’s really practice so be sure to read the post on how to make it as the batter is something to get use to.
- Cheese Tortilla – Remember our cheese chips last year? Well pretty much you are going to do the EXACT same thing except on a larger scale. Take the cheese tortillas after they bake and are warm and place them into a mold where they will harden into the hard shell tortilla form.
- Fajita Bowl – Now if you just simply don’t want to deal with tortillas and just want something that you can quickly heat up in the microwave at work you can add caulifower rice to this fajita bowl or just pile on tons of these delicious peppers and chicken is this fabuloussss sauce.
Store, save and savor the flavor
Proper storage: It’s important to take care as chicken requires some vigilance in order to stay safe. Store your leftover fajita filling in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It’s important not to leave chicken outside of the fridge. Your chicken fajita filling can be stored for 3-4 days.
How to reheat chicken fajitas: Keep in mind that chicken should only be reheated once. Yes, once. If you reheat chicken and don’t consume it, please make sure to discard it for your own safety. You can, of course, reheat in the microwave in a pinch. But we prefer to put our chicken fajita filling into a frying pan or back in the oven to get a little more sizzle. If your mix needs a little moisture added back on, you can use a little oil or even butter to help bring your mix back to life. BONUS! Extra fat if needed in your macros.
Can I freeze chicken fajitas? Yes, you can. It’s true, the most common freezer meal fajitas involved the mix before it’s cooked, marinade and all, in freezer bags. Then it can be thawed in the fridge and cooked using our sheet pan method. But if you’ve already cooked it up, you can still portion up your leftovers and place in a freezer bag. Either method will stay good in the freezer for up to 3 months. But be sure to thaw in the fridge and cook/reheat straight away. Most importantly, remember to never thaw chicken at room temperature.
HOW MANY NET CARBS in our Low Carb Chicken Fajitas?
4 Net Carbs per serving. All that flavor and just 4 carbs is winning with an epic sheet pan dinner.
Now that is for JUST THE FILLING. So be aware that if you use, make or decide to make it into a fajita bowl that your carb count will vary a bit.
If you make our low carb tortillas for example each tortilla is 1 Net Carb so lets say you eat 3 tortillas with filling you are looking at 7 Net Carbs. Which is still really decent considering 3 tortillas packed with this fajita filling and I am FULL.
Remember we are a judgement free zone here and please be kind to others if they follow things a bit differently.
Other Mexican inspired dishes to try
Low Carb Chicken Fajitas
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1-2 juiced limes (apprx 3-4 TBS)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 large bell peppers , cut into strips
- 1 whole red onion , thinly sliced
- In a large bowl combine lime juice, olive oil, chili powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika and salt. Add in chicken and allow to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Add chicken, bell peppers and onion to baking sheet with sides.
- Drizzle leftover marinade over chicken, bell peppers and onion. Toss to ensure everything is evenly coated with sauce.
- Bake for 22-27 minutes. Or until veggies are tender and chicken is cooked through and internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
- Drizzle with extra lime juice and fresh cilantro.
- Serve in your favorite tortillas and desired toppings and enjoy!