This Low Carb Teriyaki Chicken Stir Fry is the stuff my dreams are made of!
So many people in this country love Chinese food, or Asian food in general. They eat at places like Panda Express or their local Chinese food restaurant.
While that food is certainly tasty, nothing beats the freshness of homemade Asian food. It’s lighter, fresher and actually keeps you full long after your meal. (I’m still not sure how it happens that you are hungry again an hour after eating a huge meal of Chinese food, but it’s happened to me in years gone by too. It baffles the mind.
But when you make this Low Carb Teriyaki Chicken Stir Fry at home, you can still enjoy all those wonderful flavors while knowing your body is getting food and nutrition that is far better but still equally yummy! Just think, you’ll be missing out on ingredients like MSG, corn syrup and orange food coloring when you cook at home!
I know, I know. That orange chicken is so crazy good, but have you ever wondered why the orange color is practically neon? I’ll pass, thanks. Especially when I know I can make something this delicious at home, quickly and easily.
Now before anybody gets upset with me, I know that teriyaki sauce is actually Japanese. But it’s such a wonderful base for any type of Asian food and this Low Carb Teriyaki Chicken Stir Fry recipe is no exception.
The trick is to use the sauce for it’s intended use… a marinade. Teriyaki sauce was created to be a marinade, despite the fact that we here in America sprinkle it on with reckless abandon likes it’s syrup on Sunday morning pancakes.
If you marinate with it first, you’ll only need to sprinkle on a small amount to intensify the flavor to what you would normally expect from Asian food.
So get that chicken in the marinade the night before and you’ll be enjoying this delicious, low carb teriyaki chicken stir fry recipe for dinner tomorrow!
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY THESE LOW CARB RECIPES:
LOW CARB TERIYAKI SAUCE RECIPE:
Low Carb Teriyaki Sauce Recipe
- 1/2 cup tamari sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp. powdered ginger
- 2 tsp. white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tbsp. low carb granular sweetener (I used xylitol)
- Place all ingredients into a food-safe bottle with a lid and shake to combine.
- Allow to sit in the fridge for 1 hour before using to let the sweetener fully dissolve into the sauce.
- Use as a marinade for chicken, fish, beef or pork.
- Use about 1/4 cup per 1 1/2 lb. meat.
- Shake well before each use.
LOW CARB TERIYAKI CHICKEN STIR FRY RECIPE:
Low Carb Chicken Teriyaki Stir Fry
- 1 1/4 lb. chicken breasts (I used boneless, skinless)
- 1/4 cup low carb teriyaki sauce (see above)
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 cup chopped broccoli
- 1/4 cup shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup sliced, brown mushrooms
- 1 medium green onion (sliced)
- 1 1/2 cups riced cauliflower
- Marinate the chicken in the teriyaki sauce overnight in the fridge. (I just placed both in a zipper top bag and laid it flat on the fridge shelf)
- Steam the riced cauliflower separately on the side as you prepare the rest of this dish.
- Chop the chicken into bite-sized pieces. The smaller they are, the faster they will cook.
- In a wok or skillet, warm the oil and add the chicken. Cook until the chicken is well browned and about half way cooked.
- Stir in the broccoli, carrots and mushroom.
- Continue to cook until the chicken is done.
- Just before turning off the heat, stir in the green onions.
- Serve a third of the chicken over 1/2 a cup of the riced cauliflower and if you prefer, sprinkle a little extra teriyaki sauce over the top to really make the flavors pop!