Low Carb Taco Salad is everything we LOVE about Taco salads with that rockin’ Mexican flavor but no added carbs. Made for a crowd or for those meal-prep Sundays.
To say I am a Taco Salad addict is a slight understatement. This recipe is a favorite and family staple.
This Taco Salad is a weekly staple in our household for a few reasons.
- Easy – I love being able to whip it together in under 30 minutes and dinner is served.
- Filling – It’s pack it with good protein and added fat with avocados. It fills me up!
- Meal-preps – It is SO amazing for reheating and eating night after night for those busy weeks.
- Crowd Pleaser – Since it’s added in a casserole it’s actually a great dish to make for when entertaining a crowd. Not to mention, people just LOVE a good taco salad.
I personally love browning the meat and peppers together before building into our casserole pan. It helps with serving and especially if it is for meal-preps. Most of the times we finish this dish in the casserole dish but sometimes so build it all in a skillet. Totally up to you and what you’ve got planned for it.
HOW MANY NET CARBS FOR OUR LOW CARB TACO SALAD
5 Net Carbs when using our recipe per the ingredients used. It does not count for anything additional. So if you add any additional toppings be sure to calculate that into the recipe yourself.
What type of meat to use in our taco salad
- Ground Turkey – This is what we called for in this recipe but it’s versatile.
- Ground Beef – I actually struggle to find ground turkey in the store at times and end up making this with week more often.
- Ground Chicken – Really similar to the ground turkey so ground chicken would work wonderfully.
Totally your preference. Same thing goes with the toppings.
R eats this plain without the lettuce most of the time for lunches. He is a slightly struggle when it comes to vegetables at times. I love it on a fresh bed of lettuce.. I mean, it is a Taco SALAD. 😉
Top with some extra EXTRA low carb guacamole though. That is my favorite.
This dish is easy to make, fast to pull together and has not let me down yet.
I’ve been making it for a long time in various combinations and no matter what combination I use, it’s always a very tasty dish that always gets my family around the dinner table in no time at all.
Toppings to put onto our Low Carb Taco salad
- Low Carb Salsa – This is a must in our household. Using our homemade salsa allows us to make sure it’s all fresh and good for us.
- Low Carb Guacamole – Seriously, bring on the guacamole. The entire bowl is MINE.
- Low Carb Cheese Chips – When I took these pictures I didn’t have a chance to make our favorite low carb cheese chips. Oh my word these are perfect for that crunch you would otherwise have with tortilla chips.
- Low Carb Enchilada Sauce – A great alternative to the salsa or taco sauce for a dressing.
- Sour Cream – More sour cream the better
- Cheese – More cheese? Yes please and also more cheese the better. 😉
Now if you FEEL like you need additional dressing (even though we don’t) a low-carb ranch dressing is a great option
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY THESE LOW CARB RECIPES:
Low Carb Taco Salad Recipe
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 large green pepper chopped
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. onion powder
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 cup cheddar shredded
- 1 small tomato chopped
- 1/2 cup black olives chopped, optional
- 2 tbsp. fresh cilantro chopped, optional
- 3/4 cup sour cream optional
- In a large skillet, saute the turkey, green pepper and spices and stir frequently until cooked.
- Pour meat into a casserole dish and top with cheese while it's still hot.
- Top with your favorite low carb toppings such as those listed above.
- Serve by itself or over chopped lettuce for a true salad.
Leave a Reply